So, I’ve been sick now since around December 10th. First I had influenza A for a week, then it festered and by Xmas day I was coughing up blood and mucus so much I went to urgent care where I was diagnosed with bronchitis and given an antibiotics series, which really helped. Unfortunately, as soon as I was getting better from that I came down with a bad head cold. My sinuses and throat are so blocked that I haven’t tasted anything since January 3rd. I’ve never experienced anything like this- any flavor of any food or drink is muted by more than 90%- only extremely sweet or salty things make a slight tinge of taste at this point. At this point I think I have bronchitis again- I’ve been having coughing fits and coughing up dark mucus every morning for that last week straight.
I’m pretty goddamned motherfucking sick of being fucking sick at this point, and I just wish I was healthy. Fucking day care filled with diseased kids sending thousands of sicknesses home this year. Goddamn.
Scientist has been agitating for the the native Samsung Galaxy S5 wireless charging via the Qi standard for quite awhile now, and so when we got together at The Chalet last weekend I opened my laptop to Amazon.com and told him, “Tell me what to buy so that I have what you have.”
For about a week now I’ve been using Qi exclusively to charge my phone, and I’m here to back up Scientist. It’s great, it’s not gonna fry your nuts, and too bad you iPhone-using schlubs won’t ever experience how great it is.
The list of Pros heavily outweighs the Cons, but let’s get down to it:
* I don’t have the facilities (e.g., fingernails) to easily open the S5’s waterproof USB port cover, so this makes it just a million times easier to throw down and start charging.
* I use a couple of different custom alarms for waking up to work out at home or head to the gym, and so it makes it so much easier to snatch the phone off my nightstand in the morning and turn off the alarm rather than grab it, disconnect the USB cable since it’s so short, and then turn it off.
* The charging pads Scientist suggested were reasonably priced enough for me to buy three of them (plus the external battery unit) so I have one on my nightstand, one on the first floor of my house, and one by my desk at work. Coupled with the external battery version, it’s super simple to just toss it on a pad wherever I’m at.
* The only con I’ve seen is that the charging is slower through Qi than through the USB cable. If you have a dead battery and need to charge up as much as possible as soon as possible then USB will be a better option. This is offset so far, though, as my phone is almost never dead because it’s much easier to charge as I go.
* The factory Qi battery cover does make the phone thicker (by about 3mm), but that was mitigated for me by the fact that I switched out cases when I bought the new back and the case was smaller so the net result was a thinner profile for me.
#BOOM #BACKEDUP #FUCKEVERYTHING #FUCKIPHONESSPECIFICALLY
So, thirteen years later I’m leaving my software-man job at Intuit. In 2001 I graduated from college and moved all my shit out to San Jose to live with the madddddddddd scientist and Kim. This was before he was the maddddddddd scientist though, Judd had yet to christen him with the name.
Ah the early days in California: listening the City Spud and the Saint Lunatics, playing Whazz and drinking High Life. Every weekend heading down to the Mission Ale House to do… something. Still not sure what. Then came a wife, then a divorce and a move back home. Even while my life was going through weird shitphases my job was stable and (mostly) unchanging.
Now I’m headed to something a little different here in Madison. I started Monday at adorable.io and I’m really excited. I can’t wait to taste a job that isn’t an Ultra-Mega Corporation.
…then the DNS has cut over to the new whazzmaster.com server. After eight-ish years with RimuHosting I’ve switched the main whazzmaster wordpress install to Digital Ocean. I’ve really loved the support I’ve received from Rimu, but I made some mistakes and got stuck on Ubuntu 8.08, which left me unable to upgrade to the latest versions of some software I needed and thus vulnerable to the cavalcade of new, exciting exploits.
The general plan is to wait until the DNS works on the new server, then switch DNS providers for whazzmaster to DNSimple, which is where I’m consolidating all of my DNS records. After all that settles down the plan is to cancel my Rimu account and then setup whazzmaster for SSL. I found an interesting SSL reseller I want to try out.
I have more exciting news this week but it will have to wait until Tuesday.
This blog grows ponderous in its time requirements; WordPress is the worst blogging platform out there, except for every other one. This afternoon I enabled a few more spam countermeasures; two of which are easily circumvented. The only way to really end spam forever is to make it so that only logged-in and approved users can comment, but you savages refuse to create accounts so there’s not much to do.
I’ve again considered taking down the blog and putting up some Discourse forums, but I suspect you wouldn’t want to create an account there either. Better to just Snapchat, I think.
Playing Ingress. Playing Diablo 3. Hacking Java(script). Raising kid. No more time. Family sick. Send OJ.
Just got back from our annual Colorado vacation. It was pretty fun, though all of the in-laws were there so it was pretty busy and there wasn’t a lot of time to ourselves. I did the downhill trails with the father-in-law again this year but I had a GoPro strapped to the bike this time. Once I get my camera equipment back I’ll scrap together a video of the highlights (if there are any- it may just be me slowly going down a mountain.)
Scientist probably already saw this but if not I thought he’d get a kick out of it:
Not much else going on at this point. Just waiting to get old and die.
Brewers just posted their ninth win in a row in a sweep over the Pirates. Hurray! The past few seasons I’ve started slow and faded fast in my Brewers TV game watching (though I’ve consistently listened in on games on the radio). Watching them win on the road and ruin other (former champ!) teams’ Opening Days has been quite a treat though.
Wwhazz and I talked about taking the tots to a day game sometime this summer; I haven’t been to a Brewers game at all since that NLDS game back in 2011.